Bak Kwa is a really popular Chinese dried meat snack similar to jerky. Made with pork, Bak Kwa is a combination of sweet, savoury and bbq/smoky flavours.
chinese pork jerky / bak kwa
- 500 g pork mince fattier mince rather than lean
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce kecap manis
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp chinese red wine xiao xing wine
- 1 cube fermented tofu
- 1 tsp fermented tofu liquid
- 60 g sugar
- ½ tsp five spice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white ground pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp warm water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F fan forced.
- In a large bowl, combine all the jerky mix ingredients. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Place the jerky mix in between sheets of baking paper and use a rolling pin to flatten it into a large rectangle until about 3mm thickness.
- Remove the top baking sheet and transfer the flatten jerky mix onto a baking tray (leaving the bottom baking sheet).
- Cook in the oven for 15mins. Then take it out, flip it and put it back in the oven to cook for another 10mins.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, mix your honey and warm water and set aside.
- After the 10mins, take the jerky out of the oven and transfer it onto a new baking sheet.
- Using a brush, coat the top side of the jerky with the honey water mixture, then put it back in the oven for 5mins.
- Then take it out, flip the jerky and coat the other side. Put it back in the oven for another 5mins.
- If you'd like the jerky a bit more charred, leave it to cook for a few more minutes. Otherwise, take the jerky out, cut into slices and enjoy!