Take your boiled egg to the next level with this soy egg recipe! Soy sauce egg is very popular in Japanese cuisine, especially used in Ramen. Our recipe is the Mauritian-Hakka version, with the addition of five spice powder, which makes it even tastier!
soy glazed egg / oeuf rôtis
- 5 eggs whole
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chinese five spice powder
- In a small pot, put in your eggs then fill and cover them with water. Let it boil for 15mins.
- Take the eggs out and place in icy cold water. This will stop the cooking process and make the shell come off easier. Peel the eggs and set aside for later.
- In a small pot, add the dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, sugar, five spice and a tbsp of water. Mix well to combine and let the sauce come to a simmer on medium heat.
- Add the eggs and gently roll them in the sauce. Reduce to low heat and cook until the sauce has almost completely evaporated.
- Let the eggs cool down before slicing and serving.