Mauritian-Hakka families traditionally make these crab cakes known as gateau cravate or gateau crab for the Chinese New Year and share them with their neighbours and friends. This recipe needs only 4 ingredients and will make 35 – 40 gateau cravate.
mauritian crab cake / gateau cravate
- 400 g plain flour
- 35 ml vegetable oil or 40g
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, salt and sugar then mix well. Add the the vegetable oil, egg and water then mix with a fork or chopsticks until well combined.
- Use your hands to work the mixture until a dough is formed. The dough should not be sticky or too dry (Add extra flour if required).
- Wrap or cover the dough with a tea towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- With a rolling pin, flatten the dough to a ½cm thickness while also trying to keep a square shape.
- Cut individual 2 x 10cm rectangular sheets then cut and shape as shown on the picture below or in your desired shapes. Check out video for instructions on how to fold.
- Deep fry on medium high heat (190°C | 380°F) for 5–7 mins until golden brown. Let them cool down then enjoy!