Here is our version of the traditional Mauritian-Hakka moon fan. This rice dish originates from China and has for main ingredients chicken, Chinese sausages, dry shrimps, shiitake mushrooms and soy sauce.
Braised soy chicken rice / moon fan
- 250 g chicken slices breast or thigh
- 440 g rice jasmine / thailand
- 65 g lap cheong / Chinese sausages
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms / Chinese mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried shrimps / chevrette can be sub by dried squid or scallops
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 600 ml water
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, light soy sauce and dark soy sauce. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes
- Rehydrate the shiitake mushrooms by soaking them in warm water. Let them soak for at least 15 minutes or until soft
- Slice the Chinese sausages and shiitake mushrooms. Wash the rice well under cold water and drain.
- In a large pot or frying pan heat up some vegetable oil and sauté the sliced shiitake mushrooms and Chinese sausages on medium high heat for about 30 seconds
- Then add the dried shrimps and cook for another 30 seconds. Then add the marinated chicken and cook until its half way cooked (about 2 minutes)
- Finally add the rice and cook for 1 minute, then pour 600ml of water and turn on high heat until the water starts boiling
- Cover the pot and turn the heat to medium low to low and let it gently simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked
- Let the moon fan rest for 5 – 10 minutes before serving, enjoy!
- * Watch our video recipe below for illustration!