This very unique Chinese-Mauritian dish is called a Bol Renversé, which literally translates to ‘upside down bowl’! It’s also called a Magic Bowl or a Wonder Bowl and is traditionally made with a saucy stir-fry chicken and veg on a bed of steamed rice, with a fried egg on top. This recipe is a must-try and will definitely have you licking your plate clean!
mauritian wonder bowl / bol renversé
- 300 g chicken thigh/breast sliced
- 400 g bok choy chopped
- 200 g mushroom sliced
- 100 g baby corn sliced
- 100 g carrot sliced in half moon
- 4 eggs
- 3 chinese sausage (lup chong) sliced
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp white wine
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp corn/tapioca start mix well with 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 cups water
- oil for stir frying
- salt and pepper
- 4 serves boiled rice
- Prepare your boiled rice as per your favourite method or check our how we do ours here.
- In a frying pan, prepare your fried eggs (4) as per your preference and set aside for later.
- In a medium pot, heat up some oil on medium-high heat then cook the sliced chicken, seasoned with some salt and pepper, for about 5 mins. Take the chicken out and set aside.
- In the same pot, add in the sliced sausages and stir fry for about 30 seconds.
- Then add in the carrots, baby corn and mushroom and cook for about 1 minute.
- Put the chicken back into the pot followed by the oyster sauce, white wine and dark soy sauce. Mix well to combine.
- Next, add in the chopped bok choy and the 2 cups of water, and mix everything well for a few seconds. Then cover the pot.
- Once the sauce starts to simmer rapidly, take the lid off and pour in the corn/tapioca starch mixture while stirring the sauce at the same time.
- The sauce is ready when the starch mixture has combined well and the sauce has thickened.
Assemble the dish
- In a medium bowl, place your fried egg at the bottom then fill the bowl halfway with your sauce.
- Next, cover the sauce by placing your rice on top until the bowl is full. Press down on the rice gently to flatten it.
- Now put a plate on top of the bowl so that one hand is holding the bowl at the bottom and your other hand is pressing the plate against the bowl.
- Carefully, but also rapidly flip it so that the bowl is now upside down on the plate and ta-da!
- Feel free to serve it like this or remove the bowl to serve!
Goes perfectly with our homemade green chilli!