Poutou is a traditional Mauritian snack made with ground rice, coconut and milk. Our version is a simplified recipe. Learn how to make these soft and delicate coconut poutous at home in only a few steps!
mauritian coconut poutou
- 90 g white rice (short grain) or rice flour
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 40 g caster sugar
- 150 ml warm milk
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp butter room temp
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- If you're using white rice, start by grinding the rice in a blender until it turns into very fine grounded rice.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients and mix until everything is well combined.
- Rest the mixture for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Using a microwave-safe silicone cupcake mold, divide the mixture equally into 6. Then gently press the top of the mixture with a spoon to make them flat and uniform.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 5 minutes on normal settings.
- Let them rest for 5 minutes then unmold and coat with desiccated coconut while they are still warm.