French crêpes are thin pancakes that can be made as a sweet or savoury dish. This recipe is for sweet French crêpes or ‘Crêpes doux’ as we call it in Mauritius! This recipe is so easy and quick to make, and goes perfectly with toppings such as chocolate sauce, fresh fruits, jams, almonds or coconut!
sweet french crêpes / crêpes doux
- 120 g plain flour
- 350 ml full cream milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Toppings (All optional & can be substituted)
- Chocolate sauce
- Almond meal
- Desiccated coconut
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence by whisking for a few seconds.
- In the same bowl, first add in around 1 tbsp of milk and mix everything. Then add in the remaining milk and whisk well to combine. (This will prevent the egg from splitting)
- Use a medium-large pan, on medium-low heat to cook the crêpes.
- Start by oiling the pan then once the pan is hot, pour in 1 scoop of the crêpe batter and roll it around to cover the whole surface of the pan.
- Let it cook for 30–40 secs, then flip it and cook the other side for around 20–30 secs.
- Take out the crêpe, add in any toppings of your choice and serve!