Chicken tikka skewers is a common street food snack in Mauritius. You can eat them as is or serve it with some freshly baked baguette with some butter! Here is our take on the Mauritian chicken tikka!
mauritian chicken tikka / tikka poulet
- 400 g chicken breast sliced
- 3 eggs
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp plain or greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- oil to deep fry
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, garam masala powder, curry powder and yoghurt. Wrap with cling film and let chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Coat the marinated chicken with bread crumbs.
- Make chicken skewers using medium size skewers.
- With a rolling pin or meat hammer, gently bash to flatten the chicken on the skewer.
- In a medium bowl, season the eggs with salt and whisk until slightly foamy.
- Dip the chicken tikka in the egg mixture and deep fry for 6 to 8 minutes depending the the thickeness of the chicken (Do not overcook or it will get tough!).