Originating from China, these homemade Salt & Pepper Calamaries are so crispy and packed with flavours. They look so colourful and exotic and are perfect to serve as a starter or just for snacking!
salt and pepper calamari
- 450 g squid / calamari or 2 tubes
- 1 Egg beaten
- 150 g corn flour or tapioca starch
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 red long chilli chopped
- 1 sprig spring onion chopped
- cracked pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- Rinse the calami tubes well under cold water then pat dry before transferring onto the chopping board. Cut open the calamari tubes then using a sharp knife, remove all the extra skin on the surface (it makes the calamari rubbery when cooked) then pat dry using a kitchen towel.
- Cut the calamari tubes in half then using a sharp knife, score the calami skin in a 'diamond shape' pattern. Finally portion into 5 equal pieces or desired shape.
- Using a large mixing bowl, season the calamari pieces with a generous pinch of salt and pepper, then add 1 beaten egg and mix well.
- Gently coate the calamaries one by one with corn starch, and shake off any extra egg or starch.
- Deep fry the calamaries on 'medium heat' 180C | 360F for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden and crispy. Drain excess oil well then set aside.
- Heat up a wok or frying pan on 'medium high heat', add some vegetable oil. Then add the garlic followed by the chilli and spring onion. Give it a quick stir then add the fried calamaries and toss quickly to combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- * this process takes only 1 to 2 minutes. Do not overcook the ingredients!
- Serve while still hot and crispy and ENJOY!