Vona Corona the most popular locally handmade ice cream in Mauritius! These are usually sold around the island by vendors riding a bicycle with the ice cream cart attached to it. There’s always 2 toppings that you can get on the ice cream, which is this pineapple jam recipe and a desiccated coconut topping.
mauritian vona corona jam
- 650 g pineapple
- 150 g sugar
- 3-4 drops red food colouring
- Peel and finely grate the pineapple into a medium bowl, making sure to keep all of the pineapple juice.
- Put the pineapple and it's juice into a medium pot on low-medium heat.
- Add the sugar and let it cook for at least 45mins, until the pineapple soften and the juice has evaporated.
- Once the juice has evaporated, add in the food colouring and let it simmer for another 5mins.
- The jam is ready when the pineapple is soft and has a sticky consistency.
- Transfer to a jar and enjoy as a topping on your ice cream!