These fried calamaries are so crispy and satisfying. They are the perfect starter or finger food and are best served with some homemade chilli paste or garlic dipping sauce!
Crispy fried calamari / Calamar croustillant
- 450 g calamari / squid 2 tubes
- 1 egg beaten
- 150 g tapioca starch or corn starch
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Rinse the calamari tubes well under running water then pat dry before transferring onto a chopping board. Cut open the calamari tubes, then using a knife, remove all the extra skin on the inner surface then pat dry using a kitchen towel (the skin makes the calamari rubbery when cooked)
- After cleaning the calamari tubes, cut in half then using a sharp knife, score the calamari as shown in the video. Portion into 5 equal pieces or into your desired shape
- Transfer the calamari pieces into a large bowl, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 beaten egg into the bowl and mix well until well coated.
- Gently coat each calamari pieces with tapioca starch, making sure to shake off any excess
- Finally, deep fry or shallow fry in 180C oil for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and crispy!