This is our version of the classic Margherita pizza using a few simple ingredients. If you have never made a pizza from scratch before, this recipe is perfect for you. A freshly baked Margherita pizza is so simple yet so satisfying!
Classic Margherita Pizza
- 600 g plain flour
- 7 g dry yeast
- 375 ml warm water (36C – 38C)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 60 ml olive oil
Pizza sauce & toppings
- 250 g tomato puree diced or mashed tomato can also be used
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- parmesan cheese
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- In a small bowl, pour the warm water then add the yeast and sugar. Mix slightly and let rest for 5 minutes (this step is required to activate the yeast)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt, then add the yeast water mixture and the olive oil.
- First mix with a fork or spoon, then transfer onto the kitchen bench (apply flour to the surface to prevent the dough from sticking). Work the dough and knead for about 5 – 8 minutes until a firm (apply flour as needed), smooth elastic dough is obtained.
- Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with cling wrap or a tea towel. Let rest in a warm place for at least 1 hour.
- Finally, portion into 3 equal dough and let rest for another 5 – 10 minutes covered. You can then use a rolling pin or simply using your hands to roll the dough into your desired thickness.
- For the sauce, mix the tomato, salt, sugar, cracked pepper and oregano together. All the ingredients need to be well combined.
- Add the sauce to your pizza dough then sprinkle some parmesan cheese, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves on top. Finally drizzle some olive oil on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 230C or 450F for 10 – 12 minutes. Enjoy!