This is our take on the Mauritian style Sweet Sesame Ball known as Gateau Zinzli 🇲🇺 They are crunchy on the outside and so fluffy and light inside. Slightly sweet and coated with sesame seeds, they are difficult to resist!
mauritian style sweet sesame balls / gateau zinzli
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp milk powder full cream
- 3½ tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp butter regular
- 4-5 tbsp water enough to make a dough
- sesame seeds coating
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, add the plain flour, milk powder, sugar and baking powder. Mix well to combine
- Add the butter, then gently incorporate using both hands until the flour mixture reaches a sandy consistency. Check video recipe for illustration!
- Add 3tbsp of water, then mix slowly to form a dough. Knead and add extra water if needed to form a slightly sticky but firm dough (as shown in the video)
- Make 6 equal dough balls then gently roll in sesame seeds to coat evenly (make sure they stick well to the dough)
- Heat up some frying oil on medium to low heat (170C – 340F), then gently drop and fry the sesame balls for about 6 to 8 minutes or until golden. Keep rolling them around so they cook evenly.
- Let cool down then enjoy with a hot cup of tea!