Wontons are a classic chinese dumpling, most commonly served as boiled dumplings. However, deep fry them and you’ve got yourself a great little snack!
fried wonton / wantan frire
- 250 g chicken or pork minced
- 40 wonton wrappers
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 g ginger chopped
- 1 sprig spring onion chopped
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the minced, garlic, ginger, spring onion, fish sauce, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients until well combined.
Fold the wontons — check out our video for more details.
- Place one wrapper flat on your palm.
- Put ½ tsp of the dumpling mixture in a corner of the wrapper.
- Starting with the corner that has the dumpling mix, pull the corner of the wrapper over the mixture and roll halfway. You should be left with a triangle shape with the mixture sitting in the middle of the flat base of the triangle.
- Use some water to wet the corner on one side of the dumpling mix.
- Grab the corner on the other side, roll it behind the mixture and join it on top of the wet corner.
Deep frying the wontons
- In a pot, heat up some oil to 180C/360F.
- Carefully drop the wontons one by one and fry for 4–5mins or until golden brown.
- Take out from the oil and let them cool for a couple minutes before serving.
Click here for the recipe!