Impress your guests with our foolproof bao recipe! Check out our video below for detailed instructions on how to make these baos from scratch. This recipe is easy to make and will give you delicious light and fluffy baos!
- 360 g plain flour
- 20 g full cream milk powder
- 35 g caster sugar
- 5 g dry yeast
- 4 g baking powder
- 35 g vegetable oil
- 200 ml warm water
You can also follow our video instruction below!
- In a small bowl, pour 200ml warm water and add in the dry yeast. Let it rest for 5mins until the yeast is activated.
- In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, baking powder, milk powder, caster sugar and mix well. Create a well in the center and add the vegetable oil and the activated yeast water.
- Using a kitchen spoon or spatula, mix until a dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a well floured bench and knead for about 10–15mins or until the dough becomes fairly flexible and smooth.
- Gently place the dough back in a bowl and cover with cling wrap or a tea towel. Let it rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, transfer the dough on to a well floured bench and knead again for 5mins to remove any air bubbles.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 1cm thickness. Then brush the top with some vegetable oil.
- Use an 8–9cm circular cookie cutter to cut out round shapes from the dough (The leftover dough can be re-rolled and repeat the process).
- Fold each circle in half to form the bao (oiled surface inside) and place on a piece of baking paper. Using the rolling pin, gently roll to flatten.
- Transfer all baos on steamer baskets or steaming trays. Steam for 12 minutes, then turn off the heat and wait a few minutes before opening the steamer.
- When opening the lid, make sure not to let any waterdrops get on the surface of the baos as it will affect the texture and shape.
- Serve with your favourite fillings and enjoy!